New Year's Eve has always been a disappointment in my life. I'm not sure if that's because it's coming after the enormity that is Christmas, or if the expectations of the night are just too high. Maybe it's because of the immense pressure to finally make something of yourself this year, as if the changing of the calendar has any bearing on your personal goal system. The falsity of the core concept of the New Year is about all that rings true.
Or maybe I'm just a little bitter. There will be no celebration here, no champagne, no party hats, no staying up all night only to get into a brawl with a best friend. We will put the babies to bed, watch a little TV, and if we're both awake enough, maybe we'll turn Kathy Griffin on (seriously, the best thing to hit CNN in years).
I'm actually looking forward to it. There's nothing wrong with a quiet New Year's Eve, and after all the excitement of Christmas, it is a welcome change.
And, of course, I have resolutions that will never be followed, but I make them with the best of intentions and will report back.
1) I will completely potty train the babies.
2) I will get them off bottles because at 2.5 years, this is ridiculous.
3) I will take them places in my car.
4) I will socialize them so that they are not bullies.
5) I will teach them basic reading skills.
6) I will teach them to help me clean up after them, hopefully resulting in a less cluttered house.
What are your resolutions this year?