The girls slept late this morning because of the holiday. And tomorrow, we're up at 6:30 a.m. again. Do they care? Noooooo. They do not. They do not care that tomorrow at 7:15, I'm going to be tearing my hair out trying to hurry them up, putting on their shoes they suddenly can't find even though I laid them out tonight, combing their hair in a frenzy as they dramatically scream in fake pain, and force feeding them cereal via high-powered watergun. OPEN YOUR MOUTHS.
No, they do not care.
Here are the reasons they absolutely couldn't possibly have been asleep before 10 p.m. tonight:
1) They had to play a game of balloon volleyball in the living room because daddy told them they could.
2) The last point in that volleyball game was super contentious it totally DID OR DID NOT touch the couch before going over to the other side. This required mental replays, various explanations, three near tantrums, and seeking out a neutral party to decide for them. (The decision, by the way, was GO TO BED).
3) They had to finish their chocolate milk that they didn't even like at dinner time.
4) They NEEDED dessert. They were so so so so so so so so so hungry. Even though it took them nearly ninety minutes to eat dinner. Can't argue with the stomach, I guess.
5) They couldn't tell if they needed to go number two or not.
6) Brushing teeth is harrrrrrrrd.
7) They wanted to change their underwear randomly.
8) They needed to talk in bed. They had things they forgot to discuss in the 16 hours they were awake and together apparently.
9) They were suddenly so itchy. They needed to turn the lights on to examine their itchiness and call me in to check it. (It was invisible, by the way.)
10) They needed more water. They drank it all. For the first time in six months.
11) Wait, was that a ghost, mom?
12) Well, if it's the dishwasher, it's too loud. They can't sleep with the dishwasher on. You know, like they did last night. Or the night before.
13) They needed the closet door shut. But they needed it shut by a grownup. Just in case.
So, like, tomorrow, they'd better be walking to school before I even wake their little butts up. Because GO TO SLEEP.